The instructions below pertain to installing the Android .apk client file on an AT&T Android device. These steps are similar to installing the .apk on an Android emulator, which are covered on the ResourceCenter here.
Here are the steps to install the .apk client file on the device:
1. Connect device to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Ensure all device drivers are installed on your computer (Wait for “Device driver software successfully installed” notification displayed on lower right corner of computer screen). Steps for manually installing the drivers are mentioned at the end of this KB article.
3. On your device, enable USB storage mode to allow connectivity to your computer. Refer to your device manual for instructions on doing this as steps may vary per device. Here are online steps:
4. On your computer, open up the “Computer” icon and locate the drive associated with the Android device, usually labeled drive E: or F: depending on the USB port used. If you have multiple devices plugged in, this could be confusing! Unplug other devices, or make sure their USB storage mode is turned off.
5. Locate the .apk client file on your computer (e.g., pyxNoSkin.apk). The .apk may be zipped so be sure to extract the compressed file before copying it to the device.
- If you’ve already tested the .apk in an Android emulator on your computer, the .apk can be found here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools.
Note: Always make sure to use the .apk that has the most recent timestamp if there is more than one .apk file on your computer.
6. Copy the .apk file and paste it into the following directory on your device: Computer > Removable Disk (drive letter) > download.
7. Right-click over the folder on the device containing the .apk file while holding down shift. Select the option called ‘Open command window here’ from the pop-up menu.
8. In the command window, type: adb install <apk name>.apk
- The .apk file name must be exactly as named in the download folder.
9. Press the Enter key. After about 30-60 seconds you see a “Success” notification in the command window:
- Make sure to close any Android emulator on the computer before you install the app onto the physical device or else this error may occur in the command window: "error: more than one device and emulator"
- If the same named app is already installed on the Droid, it may need to be uninstalled before the desired app can be installed.
Manual Driver Install
Follow these steps if device drivers are not automatically installed
1. Connect the Android device to computer using a USB cable.
2. Locate and install USB root drivers for specific device (search Google for USB root drivers for specific device).
3. Navigate to – C:\Program Files (x86)\Android android-sdk\tools\ddms.bat and run ddms.bat file.
If device drivers were successfully installed, the device will be displayed in the Dalvik Debug Monitor:
4. Once drivers are installed, follow steps 3-9 above.