browser field displaying source for website?

Hello -

For some reason we cannot get the Browser Field control to consistantly display web content on a form. For example, if we set the data value of a browser control to: 'http://www.google.com' it will display Google's homepage within a form as expected. If we put an internal URL such as: 'http://dev-mVerivo73.ourinternaldomain.com/charts.php?office=123&' then it will display the code for the website inside the form similiar to if someone visited the site in Internet Explorer and then clicked View -> Source. Are there known limitations for the types of characters that can be inputed as data values in a Browser Field?

 

Thanks!

-Adam

Have more questions? Submit a request

9 Comments

  • 0
    Avatar
    apacelli

    Also we are using this on an iPad running Verivo 7.3.14.16

    Thanks!

  • 0
    Avatar
    apacelli

    Hi Emily -

    Thank you for the follow up. I switched the browser control from using the calculated field to the default value and it still did not work on the iPad. I tried this on the BlackBerry and it did display the page instead of the code. The .php is not using flash and I don't believe that media caching is enable.

     

    Let me know what you think...


    Thanks,

    -Adam

  • 0
    Avatar
    apacelli

    I also tried adding the URL to a field in a datasource and mapping that to the browser control but it still displayed the code instead of web content.

  • 0
    Avatar
    apacelli

    Emily - just a heads up we are still having this issue with real devices. I have found a work around though for the simulator - if you map the URL that wasnt working to a URL forwarder (like bit.ly, tinyurl, etc.) it will display the page correctly on the simulator. Not ideal since you can't make dynamic URLs this way but it makes me believe that this is definitely an issue with the way the iPad client reads the URLs.

  • 0
    Avatar
    apacelli

    Hi Emily -

    I can't move the URL outside our firewall but a good example that is close to what we are doing internally is: http://www.jqwidgets.com/jquery-widgets-demo/demos/jqxchart/javascript_chart_column_series.htm?classic

  • 0
    Avatar
    apacelli

    Hi Emily -


    We found a workaround but not referencing an external file inside the php instead including everything inside one php file. The charts now load when you first diplay the browser control but if you go back to the previous screen and then drill in again, it instantly displays the code again. We have smart caching disabled along with everything in the Cache Properties portion of the screen.

    Let me know what you think.
    Thanks!

  • 0
    Avatar
    Greg Matheson

    Adam,

    We experienced something similar (in our case we have media caching enabled and cannot disable it) -- from our testing, it seems that the application detects the period in the extension and flags it to be cached and for some reason with PHP this shows the source.  Our work around is to create a redirect url to the PHP page.  Of course, this solution may not work very well if you require the passing of parameters via the URL

    Good luck!

  • 0
    Avatar
    Greg Matheson

    And just to clarify what I mean by redirect -- I mean a redirect WITHOUT an extension.

    So the page I want is http://somesite.com/apage.php -- I setup a redirect with this address: http://sometime.com/apageredirect (obviously redirecting the the first URL)

    This should resolve the issue if you can go with a setup like this.

  • 0
    Avatar
    apacelli
    Thank you Greg!! This should definitely do the trick (we tested a URL shortener that also worked). One of our pages is receiving a URL parameter which might require another workaround but this seemed to work for us.
Please sign in to leave a comment.
Powered by Zendesk